How to obtain financial aid for the renovation of a château ?

Mary Deschamps 20 Nov 2017
Partager sur

In the framework of its policy for the protection, conservation and renovation of historical monuments, the Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles (DRAC) is empowered to grant state subsidies for the renovation of a private château.

Quelles aides financières pour la rénovation d'un château ?
The château (here Pichon Longueville) is a classified monument, the DRAC can participate in the financing of the renovation work. © mbonaparte


Renovation of a château, make your request to the DRAC

To renovate a château, you may be eligible for a subsidy from the DRAC for all the projects pertaining to the upkeep, the repair and the renovation of buildings that are protected, classified or listed as historical monuments. The amount of the grant you could receive is based on the specific characteristics of your property, its current state, the nature of the work to be undertaken and the efforts you have made to ensure its upkeep. The rate is variable, it generally amounts to between 10 and 50 % of the total renovation amount planned.

Good to know

The state subsidy can be completed by financial supports from other government authorities (notably the region and the department).

Several criteria of selection are required

The state subsidy has no obligatory character and can be granted depending on several factors :

  • If your château is a classified monument, the financial participation of the State is not subject to a maximum rate. Generally, it does not go beyond 40 or 50 % of the renovation work.
  • If your château is an inscribed monument, the State’s participation is limited to 40 % of the eligible expenditure. Practically, it amounts to between 10 and 20 % of the total renovation amount.
  • If you are planning on renovation work or repairs of your property, the subsidy can only be granted once the work has been authorized.

Make contact with the DRAC of your region to find out if you meet the conditions and are qualified for a State subsidy.

Legal references

  • Article R621-78 à R621-82 of the patrimonial code
Cet article vous a été utile ?

Pouvez-vous nous préciser pourquoi ? (facultatif)

Partager sur